I got a little side-project going on with the WP – I was asked by Dad to change the prices on the menu. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I placed the original document that had the menu inputted. After having multiple boxes with different OSes over the years, my personal folder got separated and distributed across boxes, but I digress. I ended up recreating the document, but I was too lazy to match the fonts from the original, so I just used better looking fonts. The prices were rehashed as well, and I even fixed some spelling/grammar errors.
I think I’ve been watching Restaurant Makeover too much, and while we are far from needing a makeover, I wanted to redesign our menu, at the very least. Helping the customers along would be great – giving more information about their items and even including a bit of that urban wit that seems to be cropping up in restaurant menus lately. However, in the end, the menu actually became bigger, even though I grouped things together, but due to the hefty descriptions, it became such an eyesore. I copied the worksheet and removed all the descriptions save for the main headings. Then, I thought to myself, ‘Hey, me. Aren’t we already at the digital age? I know I tried it before and failed, but why don’t I make a website?’ I could toss the URL on the paper menu and say that the full menu is there. I can also print out the full menu in color and paste the pages on the front window for advertising. We could even change our ad in the phonebook to reflect our URL. Heck, I could make a Facebook group to link customers together. What a genius idea! Go, me!
I spent all night trying to get a domain name. It was painful. I wanted to register with GoDaddy, but it said my username was taken, which is BS, because nobody else would likely have the same username as mine – it’s pretty unique. After much (wasted) research, I found out that I had registered some old domains with my username on Ace of Space hosting, which then got gobbled up by HostUtopia, which then got affiliated with Wild West Domains, which is a sub-company of GoDaddy. As a result, my username became reserved on GoDaddy, but inactive, which is why I couldn’t login or register. Phooey. I just made a new account, but didn’t get a chance to register the domain. I might even register two. I’m thinking of consolidating the network at home from multiple workgroups to one domain, which would be the second domain I’d register, and then perhaps I could set up VPN or CAG even. Muahaha.
Nothing else has happened yet, I’m now at work. More updates later.
Leave a Reply